Lead Game Designer
Lead Game Designer
Contract/For Hire: Full-time
NUKKLEAR is an independent game development studio based in Hannover with team members working remote from all around the world. We are looking for our next full-time Lead Game Designer to join the team and work on an unannounced AAA title within an already established IP.
As a Lead Game Designer at Nukklear, your day-to-day tasks involve preparing and presenting high- to low-level design goals from and to the director’s board, designing features and taking them through the full development cycle from high-level design to shippable quality as well as maintaining and balancing them.
- Efficient communication of design goals
- Understanding of high-level design request and being able to translate them into low-level design documents
- Taking full ownership and responsibility for features and keeping an eye on dependencies and deadlines
- Collaborate across disciplines and teams to make sure that the features are designed and implemented in the best possible way
- Hands on in-engine work with balancing, prototyping and such
- Balance parameters in the engine and with the help of spreadsheets
- Be as a source of truth for the dev-team, keep an overview of the project and support when questions arise
- Lead a group of designers, managing their workload as well as supporting & mentoring them
- Supervise the design process, and ensure that communication across the teams is clear and structured
- Participate as part of a group of leads, and actively facilitate the decision-making process with stakeholders
- 5+ years of experience in Game Design roles, at least 2 years in a Lead Design role
- Previous experience as a Game Designer in an AAA environment
- Experience with mentorship and development of designers
- Strong understanding of agile development processes, workflows, and tools
- Great understanding of game design fundamentals: game systems, balancing, flow, pacing, motivation, player guidance, etc.
- Great understanding of what makes a gameplay experience engaging
- Great collaboration and problem-solving skills
- Self-reliance, self-motivation, good communication skills, and team-player attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Extensive knowledge of UE4 or another comparable AAA game engine
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages, preferably UE4 Blueprint System
- Experience in designing features related to vehicle combat
- Extensive knowledge in open-world, survival, crafting and MMORPG genres
- Experience working remote across different time zones
- Permanent remote position – work anywhere you want, within the core hours of the CEST time zone
- Work with an experienced international team
- A unique opportunity to work on an established Sci-Fi License
- Flexible work-life balance
- 26-30 Vacation days a year
International applications are welcome, but a working permit for Germany is a huge plus.
Please send your complete application documents including work samples, your portfolio,
CV, your earliest start date and your salary expectation.